This recipe for the BEST Cheeseburger ever is so freaking delicious. It is a perfect copycat of the acclaimed best burger in the nation (Au Cheval). I’ll even tell you the secret ingredient.
BEST CHEESEBURGER VIDEO
Did you find this best cheeseburger recipe video helpful for you? Please subscribe to my Youtube Channel and click the bell icon so I can make sure you get notified for new videos. Thank you for subscribing and being a part of my Honest and Tasty family!
Twice a week.
Twice a week and there was no curing it.
It’s how often I drove to Small Cheval in Chicago and ate their life-changing cheeseburger.
Hey, cheeseburgers can be life-changing.
And this one definitely is! Small Cheval (and it’s larger sister restaurant, Au Cheval) is notorious for serving up the best burger in the entire country. And it’s no joke.
It’s pretty unassuming and quite unpretentious but guaranteed, you will never in your life have a better burger. It’s just impossible.
Well hot damn I replicated the damn thing at home! What was I supposed to do after moving from Chicago to California? Fly back twice a week for burgers?
This recipe. It is so. freaking. delicious.
So yeah, there are a million delicious burger recipes floating out there, but I’m telling you, this one, it’s just something out of this world.
It’s incredibly juicy, greasy (as any real burger should be!), flavorful, and… fabulous.
I mean, what else can I say? It’s just the most simple combo of really natural and quality ingredients that make the biggest difference ever.
You can find the exact quality ingredients I use. Just take a peek at the ingredients in the recipe below and you’ll find everything you need to make it just like I do to ensure you get the best burger ever.
And yes, the secret ingredient is beef tallow, which is just another way of saying beef fat. But please don’t fret about that. It’s actually wonderfully healthy!
Problem is we’ve just been misinformed for a few decades now. Did you know it is probably one of the most (if not the most) powerful antioxidant-dense products you could consume?
And unlike certain biochemically reactive unsaturated oils (I’m looking right at you canola), saturated fats like tallow or butter doesn’t damage your cells. In fact, your cells live off this stuff and will thank you by giving you better health as a result.
So throw out the old and awful myth about saturated fats being bad for you (and by the way they do NOT raise “bad” cholesterol, which also by the way is not “bad” as it turns out), and throw out the canola and vegetable oil, and eat an honestly healthy cheeseburger already. With plenty of fat to boot.
WHAT YOU’LL NEED TO MAKE THE BEST CHEESEBURGER
- Ground Beef – The fattier the better. And if you can get your hands on some grassfed/organic beef, definitely do! It’s so much better for you without all the toxic herbicides/pesticides from the cow’s feed. And it’s more nutrient dense than conventional beef too!
- Dijon Mustard – This’ll be for the dijonnaise burger spread. Get some good dijon mustard because that punch of flavor makes a big difference!
- Mayonnaise – Again, for the dijonnaise. And again, make sure it’s some good quality mayo. I prefer avocado oil mayo to avoid harmful, rancid vegetable/canola oil/soybean oil.
- Beef Tallow/Ghee – I like combining the two for cooking the burger patties but you can choose one or the other as well. I would avoid any other cooking oil because you don’t want to burn the oil at a high heat and you also don’t want to use toxic vegetable/canola oils that are terrible for our health.
- Cheese – American is the way to go here for the best tasting cheeseburger just like Au Cheval’s and Small Cheval’s. However, feel free to use cheddar or jack if you must. Just know it won’t be the same. But that’s OK too!
- Brioche Hamburger Buns – This is what Au Cheval and Small Cheval use and it’s definitely the way to go for these awesome hamburgers.
- Sliced Pickles – If you can find some without artificial dye, please do!
- Red Onion – Just a little chopped red onion makes all the difference here for topping off the burger.
- Salt – Some good unrefined sea salt for the meat is healthy and necessary!
HOW TO MAKE THE BEST CHEESEBURGERS
- Make Dijonnaise – All you do is mix a 2:1 ratio of mayo to dijon. Set it aside for when you are ready to assemble burgers.
- Prep Burger Patties – Form into balls between the size of golf balls and tennis balls. Then press them out into thin patties and salt them.
- Cook the Patties – Add beef tallow and ghee to a hot skillet to melt and then add the patties. Once a nice sear forms on one side, flip and cook the other side until done (approximately 1 – 2 minutes total, depending on your desired level of doneness) and add cheese to patties. Once crust forms on both sides of patties, remove to clean plate.
- Heat the Buns – Place each bun half in the skillet to crisp up in the cooking fat just a little bit.
- Assemble the Cheeseburger – Smear a generous amount of dijonnaise on each bun (top and bottom), add sliced pickle and chopped red onion to bottom bun, then 2 cooked beef patties per cheeseburger, and place top bun. Enjoy!
TIPS TO MAKE THE BEST CHEESEBURGER:
Use Grassfed or Organic Beef – Conventional beef is filled with hormones, antibiotics, and cancer-causing herbicides/pesticides. So stick to grassfed/organic beef. It’ll be richer in nutrients as well which is so much more nourishing to our bodies.
The Fattier the Better – Minimum 15% fat, but the higher the fat content, the better to make a juicy burger. Regardless, the tallow and ghee cooking fats will help make a great burger.
Avoid Vegetable/Canola Oil and Use Tallow/Ghee – Heavily processed and unsaturated vegetable/canola-type oils add no flavor and they are already rancid/toxic by the time you open the seal. Butter and olive oil will burn at the high cooking temperature required to sear the burgers. Tallow/ghee are optimal for cooking burger patties in a skillet and are filled with necessary fat-soluble vitamins.
Prepare Toppings First, Cook Burger Patties Last – You want a hot hamburger right off the skillet when you sit to eat. So definitely make sure to get all the toppings and sauce ready to quickly assemble the burgers once the patties are done.
Make the Patties Thin for More Flavor – Patties shrink and become thicker when cooking, so keep that in mind when forming them in the first place. A lot of the flavor is in the crust that forms on the beef, so you want to make the patties thin to increase the surface area of that tasty sear.
WHAT SHOULD I SERVE WITH CHEESEBURGERS?
LOOKING FOR MORE?
And what about dessert? How about a big ol’ BEST EVER Chocolate Lava Pudding Cake! It is so easy and baked in one big baking dish, enough for the entire family.
Subscribe to my YouTube Channel HERE!
Follow me on Instagram!
I’m also on Facebook!
And if you want a heads up whenever I post a new recipe, subscribe to my free newsletter by entering your email at the very bottom of the page!
As always, love, health, and happiness to all of you!
How to Make the Best Cheeseburger Ever – VIDEO!
- ⅛ cup of Dijon Mustard Sir Kensington’s brand is preferred because the flavor is wonderful
- ¼ cup of Mayonnaise Again, Sir Kensington’s makes the best mayo and it’s natural with ingredients that are actually good for you!
- 1 ⅓ pounds of at least 15% fat Ground Beef If you can, try to find grass-fed, hormone-free beef
- 1 tablespoon Ghee AKA clarified butter
- 1 teaspoon Beef Tallow AKA Beef Fat; I found mine at Sprouts Market; I know they have it at Whole Foods. You could also just use butter, but the flavor will be a bit lighter.
- 8 slices of American Cheese
- 4 Brioche Hamburger Buns I found them at Whole Foods. I know Turano brand makes them as well.
- ¼ Red Onion finely chopped
- 1 Dill Pickle sliced thinly (Try to find some without added dyes—scary!)
- Mix mustard and mayonnaise in a small bowl and set aside.
- Form your beef into balls (something between a golf ball and tennis ball) and then smash them to be very thin.
- Add a generous pinch of salt to each patty.
- Add ghee and beef tallow to a very hot skillet and carefully rotate skillet to spread the grease.
- Add beef patties and make sure not to crowd them at all because you want them to cook quickly with a consistent hot temperature. Each burger will get 2 patties.
- Flip the patties once they’ve formed some crust and add a slice of American cheese to each patty.
- Once the patty is cooked (approximately 1 minute to 1 1/2 minutes in total, depending on your desired level of doneness), turn off the heat and remove your patties to a clean plate.
- Add buns into oil for about 15 seconds to give them some flavor and toast them a bit.
- Remove buns from heat and add some of that dijonnaise sauce you made, using dijon and mayo, to both sides of your buns.
- Add two cheeseburger patties per bun, top with some of that chopped red onion and sliced pickle, and place the top of the bun over it. Enjoy!
- ~~If you enjoyed this recipe, please rate it below and subscribe to my YouTube channel for more videos!~~