The most delectable homemade BBQ Chicken Pizza is so simple to make, starting with a delicious dough recipe & quality ingredients. It’s the BEST BBQ Chicken Pizza you’ll ever taste! You’ll be head-over-heels with this one.
I’m on a serious BBQ Chicken Pizza kick and it’s a kick that won’t let up. Not even a little bit. And I’m real good with that…
…because I’ve got a killer homemade BBQ Chicken Pizza recipe that’s so easy to make from start to finish. And we’re making the crust from scratch, which is really such a cinch (you just need some time so that the dough can rise)!
The reason I like to make my own pizza dough is that I not only want to control the taste and texture of the crust—which, let’s face it, can really make or break a pizza—but I also like to use organic flour (meaning without any additives). And this is super important to me.
Living with rheumatoid arthritis has awakened my food brain and I choose to not put anything questionable into my body if I can help it, but I don’t kill myself over it either. So there’s that.
I prefer to eat the way that nature, and not big business, intended.
Even with something as typical as bread or pizza, we may not be aware of just exactly what we’re consuming until we really question the ingredients we usually tend to overlook.
Hopefully that’s not all too vague. I’m trying to keep it more about the pizza and less about the other stuff for today’s post at least. Bottom line: quality ingredients that you can find in nature = the way to go.
And here’s the thing. I really can’t stop making this pizza. I’m in love. And Barry says it’s his favorite BBQ chicken pizza so I don’t know if I even care to stop making it any time soon. Plus, the dough recipe makes enough for two pizzas, so automatically, it’s a twofer!
Pizza in the morn’, pizza in the day, and pizza in the night! It makes me so happy—I swear I could just eat an entire pizza right now. It’s just that I just ate pizza for dinner.
Though, pizza dessert could be a thing I think.
Subscribe to my YouTube Channel HERE
Homemade BBQ Chicken Pizza
- 1/2 cup Lukewarm Water
- 1 package Active Dry Yeast
- 4 cups Organic Bread Flour divided
- 3/4 cup Cold Water
- 2 tablespoons Extra Virgin Olive Oil plus extra for greasing large bowl
- 1 teaspoon Sugar
- 2 teaspoons Salt
BBQ Chicken Pizza:
- 1 boneless and skinless Chicken Breast
- 3/4 cup BBQ Sauce divided
- 1 teaspoon Sea Salt divided
- 6-8 ounces Mozzarella Cheese thinly sliced
- ½ of a Red Onion sliced thinly
- A pinch of cracked Black Pepper
- ¼ cup Cilantro leaves chopped
- ¼ teaspoon Red Chili Flakes Optional
- ¼ cup shredded Parmesan Cheese Optional
For the Dough:
- In a large mixing bowl, add lukewarm water, yeast, and 1/2 cup bread flour. Whisk to combine well and let sit for 30 min.
- Add cold water and olive oil. Whisk to combine.
- Whisk in sugar and salt.
- Add in remainder of flour and mix first with a spatula and then with hands to form a dough ball.
- Knead the dough on a clean and lightly floured surface (or even right in the mixing bowl) for a few minutes to make sure everything is well incorporated.
- Lightly oil the mixing bowl and place dough ball inside. Cover with plastic wrap and keep in a warm spot for at least 1 hour to rise. You can definitely do this the night before with great results–just store in fridge after an hour or two of letting it rise first.
For the BBQ Chicken Pizza:
- Preheat oven to 375º F (190º C).
- Place chicken onto an ovenproof dish.
- Pour ¼ cup BBQ sauce right over the chicken, slather it all around and add ½ teaspoon salt.
- Bake for 20 minutes or until chicken is done.
- After it comes out of the oven, let cool for a few minutes before slicing it into thin bite-sized pieces.
- Place pizza stone (or an upside down baking tray) into oven and increase oven temperature to 500º F (260º C)—or 550º F (287º C) if your oven goes that high. Let it preheat for 30 minutes before putting in the pizza.
- Use half the dough for one pizza. Keep the other half covered and store that one for later in the fridge.
- Use fingers or rolling pin to form a thin crust on a lightly cornmealed surface or on parchment paper.
- Place the crust onto a pizza peel or the backside of a cookie tray (that is either topped with parchment paper or lightly dusted with cornmeal).
- Add ½ cup BBQ sauce onto crust and spread it around (leaving the edges clean).
- Add cheese (again, avoid edges of crust), chicken, and red onion.
- Sprinkle with ½ teaspoon salt and a pinch of cracked black pepper.
- Carefully slide pizza around on the tray/peel to test its ability to easily slide onto the pizza stone/tray. If you’re not using parchment paper, you may need to add more cornmeal to the bottom of the crust to keep from sticking.
- Slide the pizza (along with the parchment paper if using it) right onto pizza stone. Parchment paper will turn a bit darker but won’t burn. Do not worry.
- Allow pizza to bake for 10 minutes or until cheese is bubbly and crust is crisped up and golden brown.
- Remove from oven and add chopped cilantro.
- Top with some parmesan cheese and red chili flakes, slice into squares, and enjoy!