This Asian Takeout-Style Beef and Broccoli is listed under quick, easy, delicious, and savory… in the dictionary.
Some people hate broccoli.
I am not one of these people.
I'm only kidding---you see, I don’t like okra. Actually, I really hate it. It’s the whole texture thing again. That’s not crazy of me though.
That’s real normal of me.
In the past several weeks, I’ve started craving broccoli. So much.
And that's so much so that I buy a bunch of heads of it and they’re most likely gone by the next day. I’ll eat it raw (the entire stalk part too. YUM.), boiled in salt water, or cooked into a stir fry.
I believe that your body automatically craves whatever’s in season and surprise surprise! Broccoli is in peak season right now! And THIS is why I’ve gone from seldom buying broccoli to “Wait. This is all the broccoli you have in stock? And in the back too?!”
Side note: Going to the grocery store only to find that what I really looked forward to buying that day is out of stock irritates me more than most things in my daily life. Definitely way more than stepping in poop...not that that happens in my daily life.
The flank steak in this dish takes literally two minutes to cook and this whole dish comes together in no time! It’s absolutely delicious, completely savory, and when I make it I can’t stop going back for more. And then a lot more.
Also, I'm so sorry for failing to make a pretty segue up there... or any segue. I went with the whole 'quit while you're behind' strategy.
Subscribe to my YouTube Channel HERE
Takeout Style Beef and Broccoli
- 1 pound Flank Steak sliced thinly against the grain
- 2 tablespoons Cornstarch
- 2 tablespoons + ¼ cup Soy Sauce
- 3 tablespoons ghee can sub beef tallow
- 1 large Onion cut in half and sliced to about ¼th inch thick slices
- 6 garlic cloves minced
- 1 inch cube of Ginger minced
- ½ pound Broccoli florets or about 4 cups, rinsed
- 2 pinches Red Chili Flakes optional
- 1 cup Beef broth/bone broth simple recipe for the best bone broth
- 1 tablespoon Brown Sugar optional, but gives just a hint of sweetness
- In a medium bowl, mix sliced flank steak with 1 tablespoon of cornstarch and 2 tablespoons of soy sauce.
- Heat a large nonstick pan over high heat and add in 2 tablespoons of ghee. Swirl it around to coat pan.
- Once ghee is very hot (this only takes a few seconds), add in the beef in one layer.
- Sear for 1 minute and then flip the slices to cook for another minute on the other side.
- Set beef and its juices aside onto a plate.
- With the same pan on high heat, add 1 tablespoon of ghee.
- Add onion, garlic, and ginger. Mix to sauté for about 3 minutes.
- Add in the broccoli and red chili flakes. Mix to sauté for another 3 minutes.
- In a small mixing bowl whisk together beef/bone broth, 1 tablespoon cornstarch, ¼ cup of soy sauce, and the optional brown sugar. Pour over the broccoli mixture. Mix to combine and cook on for about 3 minutes.
- Add the beef and its juices back into the pan and mix all the ingredients to incorporate.
- Immediately remove pan from heat and serve over rice. Don’t forget to spoon the juices over the top. Yum!