This authentic key lime pie recipe is not only ridiculously simple to make, it's also the MOST AMAZING key lime pie in the world! Tart & not too sweet, rich & creamy, with a salted graham cracker crust---this is absolutely the best key lime pie I’ve ever tasted. Darn good!!
BEST KEY LIME PIE VIDEO
Did you find this best key lime pie recipe video helpful for you? Please subscribe to my Youtube Channel and click the bell icon so I can make sure you get notified for new videos. Thank you for subscribing and being a part of my Honest and Tasty family!
Before I completely jump into the pie-lovin’, I have a bit of a personal update, so feel free to skip ahead to PIE if that’s more your speed right now. I totally won’t know the difference.
Okay, so truth be told, I haven’t really cooked in almost 2 months now. It’s been a whirlwind kind of time for me.
I’ve been completely consumed with grad school and practically living in the lab, trying to finish up. And the stress in my life has once again got the best of my health and so I needed to take a step back and sort of recuperate and take care of myself again.
Anyone with an autoimmune disease knows exactly what I mean when I say that stress is the strongest and quickest way to trigger inflammation and illness.
Needless to say, I didn’t have the time or leftover energy to cook---and much less, blog about my cooking. But now that I’m taking somewhat of a breather for myself, I’m so happy that I can get right back into cooking and blogging again.
Something about it gives me so much energy, instead of taking any. Honestly, I could be up all night working on editing videos and writing up posts and recipes, and the next day I’ll be totally filled with a sunshine-y energy.
I love cooking, I love blogging, and it’s given me so much pleasure in my life, while also serving as a sort of medicine to keep my stress at bay. And of course, eating well is the best kind of medicine too!
It’s so important to listen to your body and I’m sorry to say I’ve neglected my health in these past few months, but not any more. Nothing matters more than health, and that will never be cliché.
I’ve got the smoothest segues, don’t you know?
This is seriously the best key lime pie I’ve ever had. I don’t want to be tooting my own horn but I mean, I’m not going to lie and say, “Yeah, it’s really, pretty good,” when it truly is the best key lime pie EVER (*ahem* in my humble opinion).
If you’re into tart and fresh, creamy and delicious key lime pies, I gotchoo.
It’s sweet without being cloyingly sweet because it’s key LIME pie! I really hate a weak and sweet key lime pie. Turn it away!
This one is gorgeous. And the texture is so lovely and so rich.
I top my pie with a whole lot of freshly whipped cream because that’s what we do, you know what I mean jelly bean?
And I couldn't forget to tell you that this lightly salted graham cracker crust is the simplest thing to prepare and it’s my favorite crust in the whole wide world. Don’t do that premade stuff please.
I am not down.
This recipe is just way too easy to make and tastes like heaven.
Also, don’t forget to check out the video for my trick to squeezing the juice out of those tiny key limes without getting the seeds in your juice and the carpal tunnel in your wrist.
Also again, I don’t use the bottled key lime juice stuff because of the preservatives used and because I’d rather have the fresh fruit juice and the distinctively and aromatically complex key lime zest.
That’s not to say that preservatives aren’t in other ingredients I may use but I do my best to stay healthy and keep things tasty, without completely losing my sanity because we essentially live in a food-preserved world these days and it’s so unacceptably difficult to avoid all that bad stuff.
So we do what we can then.
Here’s to a very happy key lime pie season! Also known as ‘summer’ to the pie and fruit non-obsessed folk. But you wouldn’t be here if you were part of the latter group, so HAPPY KEY LIME PIE SEASON to you!
And for any Seinfeld fiends out there like myself, saying that just reminded me of this scene so I might as well link to it or I’ll have regrets later.
Don't forget to try my famous FRESH STRAWBERRY PIE RECIPE! It has a salted shortbread crust which is amaaazing, by the way.
It's all-natural and along with my key lime pie it's my personal favorite. And it's ridiculously simple to prepare!
And try out my lazy black raspberry pie recipe!
Try my recipe for the BEST Fresh Strawberry Pie Ever!!
Try my super quick & easy-peasy black raspberry recipe!
Subscribe to my YouTube Channel HERE
The Best Key Lime Pie Recipe - VIDEO!
Graham Cracker Crust:
- 7 tablespoons Butter melted
- 11 Full Graham Crackers to make just about 2 cups graham cracker crumbs
- ¼ cup Sugar
- ¼ teaspoon Sea Salt
- 1 ½ tablespoons Zest from key limes reserve a pinch of this zest as an optional sprinkling on top of the pie
- 3 Egg Yolks
- 14 oz Sweetened and Condensed Milk 1 can
- ¾ cup Key Lime Juice from approximately 1 pound of key limes
For Whipped Cream:
- 8 oz Heavy Cream 1 cup
- 1 ½ tablespoons Granulated Sugar
Preheat oven to 350ºF (176ºC).
For Graham Cracker Crust:
- Make graham cracker crumbs in food processor or place graham crackers in plastic bag and crush until they turn into crumbs.
- Put butter in a med-large mixing bowl and mix in graham cracker crumbs, sugar, and salt until combined.
- Put mixture into a 9-inch pie dish and pat it down with your fingers to make the crust. Bring the crust up the edges as well.
- Bake for 10 minutes or until very lightly browned.
- Allow to cool while preparing pie filling.
For Pie Filling:
- Whip most of the zest (reserving a pinch for sprinkling the top of the pie to garnish) and egg yolks in a large mixing bowl for 2 minutes or until thickened.
- Add sweetened and condensed milk and mix for 3 minutes or until thickened.
- Add lime juice and mix until combined.
- Pour mixture into pie crust.
- Place in oven for 15 minutes. Pie will rise slightly but the filling won't change color.
- Allow to cool for ½ hour at room temperature before cooling completely in the fridge for at least 2 hours. You can also place it in the freezer instead of the fridge to cool it quicker. Just remember to remove it before it turns into ice cream!
For Whipped Cream:
- Use an electric mixer to whip together cream and sugar for a few minutes until stiff peaks form. Top the pie with whipped cream and optional zest before serving.