A few weeks ago, Barry and I went on a big Italian vacation where we spent some time on the Amalfi Coast. I ate two things that then stuck with me when I came back to California.
I knew I had to make them. One of them is lemony and I’ll post it next week, but the other one is the Mediterranean pesto potato and balsamic tuna salad that I show you how to make in my video! If you haven’t watched the video yet, then don’t do it. I mean do it, but read this first. And then you can go watch it. And don’t forget to subscribe and tell me what you want to see me make!
Alright, so I’m allllll about this amazing tuna salad. It’s nothing like the other kind. The gross kind. That’s a NO. This one is full of vegetables and colors and not at all grey. There’s no grey. Even the tuna is in technicolor. So that brings me to probably one of the most important points for the recipe—the tuna (Oh heyyy vitamin A and Omega-3 fatty acids!).
So it has to be the kind in olive oil and it has to be some shade of pink and it has to have salt. Because that’s the yum kind. If it doesn’t have salt (um, I’m looking at YOU Whole Foods tuna canned in olive oil) then salt that thing. Or else, it’s a NO.
Now that that’s out of the way, let’s talk about the flavors! The salad I had on the Amalfi Coast was really good, but I asked for more ingredients that were even better suited to my taste buds. It turned out pretty incredible and I fell in completely in love… with a tuna salad.
This salad is deliciously tangy because of those briny kalamata olives, capers, and balsamic vinegar. So you’re getting your antioxidants in as well as your vitamins, including vitamin K, which is important for your bones! And then you have the easy pesto potatoes which are so flavorful and help to fill you up for a heartier salad.
**Important** As I said in the video, make SURE your olive oil is real. This can be very tricky because companies can be incredibly sneaky about contaminating olive oil with other types of cheap oils and chemicals. This makes it cheaper for them (as well as for you) and worst of all, unhealthy. And that sucks when you are specifically trying to consume it for health benefits and/or taste. So do your research and find a good one! Invest in quality ingredients because it’s cheaper than medicine and tastes better too. You can look at the ingredients list to see which one I use.
So go on, get your ingredients, make the salad, and eat what’s good.
Try my recipe for the absolute BEST shrimp ceviche!
Try my recipe for deliciously easy shrimp scampi!
Try my flavorful roasted salmon pasta salad for a killer side-dish or main entree!
Subscribe to my YouTube Channel HERE!
Follow me on Instagram!
I’m also on Facebook!
And if you want a heads up whenever I post a new recipe, subscribe to my free newsletter by entering your email at the very bottom of the page!
As always, love, health, and happiness to all of you!
Mediterranean Tuna & Potato Salad
- 3 whole Small Potatoes (peeled and cubed)
- 1 teaspoon Sea Salt
- 1 tablespoon Jarred Pesto (heaping tablespoon)
- 2 handfuls Baby Arugula
- 1 can Tuna (not the albacore/white variety, and make sure it is packed in olive oil)
- 1-2 handfuls Cherry Tomatoes
- 1 tablespoon Green Onions (sliced)
- 1 tablespoon Kalamata Olives (pitted and sliced)
- 2 teaspoons Capers
- 1 Dried Arbol Chile (seeded and sliced thinly (optional))
- Sea Salt to taste
- Black Pepper to taste
- 2 tablespoons Olive Oil
- 2 tablespoons Balsamic Vinegar
- Add potatoes to a small pot and add water to come up and inch over the potatoes.
- Add salt, stir, and bring to a boil.
- Once boiled, lower heat to a simmer and cook for about 5 minutes or until fork tender. Don’t overcook because you don’t want them falling apart and getting mushy.
- Drain and cool.
- Add pesto and mix. Set aside.
- Place baby arugula in a medium-large bowl and arrange all other ingredients (except for olive oil and balsamic vinegaon top.
- Top salad with olive oil and balsamic vinegar. Add more as needed.
- ~~If you enjoyed this recipe, please rate it below and subscribe to my YouTube channel for more videos!~~