Have you noticed, so many fruits taste more like water than anything else?
I swear it wasn’t like this when I was a kid. Fruits had flavor.
And when I travel outside of the States, fruits have flavor.
The reason behind this madness? The same reason why your grocery store fruit looks so large, plump, and flaw-free. Your fruit has been selected for all those things, rendering them less nutritious and consequently, less delicious! So although you might pick the “best”-looking fruit, thinking it will taste the best, you are usually underwhelmed. And conversely, some of the “ugliest” fruit you’ve picked/bought tastes the best! That’s the produce business we have to live with because it’s all about appearance, but it sucks when you just want something that tastes like it’s supposed to.
So for today’s extremely easy (but cute, right?!) summertime dessert, I’ve taken some store-bought apricots---which are in season yet readily robbed of their delicious flavor---and roasted them with butter and brown sugar to replace the yumminess and concentrate and draw out those natural apricoty flavors. I’ve layered them with fresh whipped cream and topped them with a little more brown sugar.
Roasting fruit really helps bring out their natural flavor because the fact is that commercial fruit has a higher ratio of water to natural sugars/nutrients, and when you roast the fruit you’re evaporating quite a bit of that water, decreasing that ratio, hence, much more fuh-layyyver.
I hope you enjoy this simple, yet wonderfully delicious treat. You can honestly use whatever fruit you like, fresh or roasted, just make sure you add some sugar to the fruit to draw out some liquid and concentrate that flavor. I’ve even done it with fresh, sweet black cherries and topped it off with crumbled oreos. That was also something quite delightful. So I hope you make this recipe yours and get that fruit in where you can!
Subscribe to my YouTube Channel HERE!
Follow me on Instagram!
I’m also on Facebook!
And if you want a heads up whenever I post a new recipe, subscribe to my free newsletter by entering your email at the very bottom of the page!
As always, love, health, and happiness to all of you!
Easy Summer Dessert: Roasted Brown Sugar Apricot Fools
- 1 cup Heavy Cream
- ¼ cup White Sugar
- 5 Apricots sliced
- 2 tablespoons Unsalted Butter cut up into small pieces
- ¼ cup Brown Sugar + a pinch for topping each apricot fool
- Place apricots in a greased, foil-lined baking dish that is at least 1 ½ inches deep.
- Sprinkle apricots with bits of butter and brown sugar.
- Broil apricots in oven on highest oven rack for approximately 20 minutes or until soft and starting to char on some edges.
- Remove from oven and allow to cool. Place apricots in a plate to cool in fridge to speed up cooling process.
- Whip cream with white sugar until soft peaks form.
- Spoon a layer of cooled apricots into a serving dish/glass/jar and layer with whipped cream. Once done layering, add a pinch of brown sugar to the top. Serve and enjoy!