This recipe for the BEST Cheeseburger ever is so freaking delicious. It is a perfect copycat of the acclaimed best burger in the nation (Au Cheval). I’ll even tell you the secret ingredient.Jump to recipe
Twice a week.
Twice a week and there was no curing it.
It’s how often I drove to Small Cheval in Chicago and ate their life-changing cheeseburger.
Hey, cheeseburgers can be life-changing.
And this one definitely is! Small Cheval (and it’s larger sister restaurant, Au Cheval) is notorious for serving up the best burger in the entire country. And it’s no joke. It’s pretty unassuming and quite unpretentious but guaranteed, you will never in your life have a better burger. It’s just impossible.
Well hot damn I replicated the damn thing at home! What was I supposed to do after moving from Chicago to California? Fly back twice a week for burgers?
This recipe. It is so. freaking. delicious.
So yeah, there are a million delicious burger recipes floating out there, but I’m telling you, this one, it’s just something out of this world.
It’s incredibly juicy, greasy (as any real burger should be!), flavorful, and… fabulous.
I mean, what else can I say? It’s just the most simple combo of really natural and quality ingredients that make the biggest difference ever.
You can find the exact quality ingredients I use. Just take a peek at the ingredients in the recipe below and you’ll find everything you need to make it just like I do to ensure you get the best burger ever.
And yes, the secret ingredient is beef tallow, which is just another way of saying beef fat. But please don’t fret about that. It’s actually wonderfully healthy!
Problem is we’ve just been misinformed for a few decades now. Did you know it is probably one of the most (if not the most) powerful antioxidant-dense products you could consume? And unlike certain biochemically reactive unsaturated oils (I’m looking right at you canola), saturated fats like tallow or butter doesn’t damage your cells. In fact, your cells live off this stuff and will thank you by giving you better health as a result.
So throw out the old and awful myth about saturated fats being bad for you (and by the way they do NOT raise “bad” cholesterol, which also by the way is not “bad” as it turns out), and throw out the canola and vegetable oil, and eat an honestly healthy cheeseburger already. With plenty of fat to boot.
Don’t forget the get the recipe for the BEST EVER Fries plus Garlic Aioli Dip (just like Au Cheval’s)! And try my Best Wisconsin Butter Burger after you’ve tried this recipe! For another amazing fry recipe, try my recipe for Flavor-Bursting Umami Fries with Homemade Dips! And what about dessert? How about a big ol’ BEST EVER Chocolate Lava Pudding Cake! It is so easy and baked in one big baking dish, enough for the entire family.
Subscribe to my YouTube Channel HERE!
Follow me on Instagram!
I’m also on Facebook!
And if you want a heads up whenever I post a new recipe, subscribe to my free newsletter by entering your email at the very bottom of the page!
As always, love, health, and happiness to all of you!
How to Make the Best Cheeseburger Ever – VIDEO!
- ⅛ cup of Dijon Mustard Sir Kensington’s brand is preferred because the flavor is wonderful
- ¼ cup of Mayonnaise Again, Sir Kensington’s makes the best mayo and it’s natural with ingredients that are actually good for you!
- 1 ⅓ pounds of 15% fat Ground Beef If you can, try to find grass-fed, hormone-free beef
- 1 tablespoon Sunflower Oil
- 1 teaspoon Beef Tallow AKA Beef Fat; I found mine at Sprouts Market; I know they have it at Whole Foods. You could also just use butter, but the flavor will be a bit lighter.
- 8 slices of American Cheese
- 4 Brioche Hamburger Buns I found them at Whole Foods. I know Turano brand makes them as well.
- ¼ Red Onion finely chopped
- 1 Dill Pickle sliced thinly (Try to find some without added dyes—scary!)
- Mix mustard and mayonnaise in a small bowl and set aside.
- Form your beef into balls (something between a golf ball and tennis ball) and then smash them to be very thin.
- Add a generous pinch of salt to each patty.
- Add sunflower oil and beef tallow to a very hot skillet and carefully rotate skillet to spread the grease.
- Add beef patties and make sure not to crowd them at all because you want them to cook quickly with a consistent hot temperature. Each burger will get 2 patties.
- Flip the patties once they’ve formed some crust and add a slice of American cheese to each patty.
- Once the patty is cooked (approximately 1 minute to 1 1/2 minutes in total, depending on your desired level of doneness), turn off the heat and remove your patties to a clean plate.
- Add buns into oil for about 15 seconds to give them some flavor and toast them a bit.
- Remove buns from heat and add some of that dijonnaise sauce you made, using dijon and mayo, to both sides of your buns.
- Add two cheeseburger patties per bun, top with some of that chopped red onion and sliced pickle, and place the top of the bun over it. Enjoy!
- ~~If you enjoyed this recipe, please rate it below and subscribe to my YouTube channel for more videos!~~